Sunday, October 17, 2010

- House Call-

WARNING: SCIENCE FICTION


"No!" the old woman wailed, "I simply cannot live without my robot!"
            "Ma'am, you realize there was a time when people had no robot servants; a time when they did things for themselves?" I said this hunched over the 'bot I was repairing in the old bag's affluent neighborhood. I make my living repairing robots, but I can't stand them; or humanity's ever-growing reliance on them.  Life is absurd.
            The old lady bent down to tenderly stroke the machine's faceplate. "I don't want you thinking I'm one of those people who have them work while they sit around," she said," I'm just used to the sound of him humming in the room is all. Half the time I don't have him do anything."
            I tried to look apologetic as I said, "I'm sorry. He's gone. There's nothing I can do."  The woman was insured. She'd have another by that afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment