Thursday, June 9, 2011

Architectural Abominations from the Age of Aquarius


All pics from the book Interiors for Today (1975) via Woot!
http://www.woot.com/


Screw intro paragraphs! (Okay, I forgot to write an intro paragraph). Simply put: I look at some 70's decorating; I question its purpose. You won't be lost!
                                -Freditor


                                        click photo for larger view
                 Maybe I’ve lived in too many places w/out ac, but those furry pillows just look cloying. I do dig the corduroy bed spread though.  I could swish my hand across the material to play rhythm along with whatever I’d rock on the hi-fi. I imagine it would have to be this:



The reflective wallpaper’s cool, but you’d have to polish it all the time for a peak shine. Each and every morning would be a blinding sunrise.






                                            click photo for larger view
                       This looks like the type of guest bedroom I’d fear passing out in at a friend’s party because the next morning I’d wake up totally discombobulated from the mirrors. I’d fear that I would never get out, let alone find the bathroom. And no one would hear my cries. The Tiki idols would laugh mockingly from their mood-lit pedestals. 



                   
               Also, the room looks like the type of place a black gloved killer would murder you in an Italian 70’s giallo. At least you’d see your throat slit from twenty different angles, and could gurgle out your killer’s name inaudibly before you kaleidoscopically bled to death.






                                 click photo for larger view
                 Maybe it’s all the autumnal colors in this study, but I can’t help but fear there’s a cool dampness to the furniture. Like, maybe I could enjoy a sherry and read a chapter or two in complete comfort, but to nap on this couch would be inviting a dank moistness. I'm afraid I’d always have to mess with the dehumidifier whenever I enter. Stylistically, I don’t know if it’s really functional either…
LADY FRIEND: May I sit on the divan?
ME: No, you may not. As you can see, the giant polished ball bearing currently resides upon the divan. Sherry?
LADY FRIEND: No, thank you. And don’t call me Cherie, my name is Diane.

No comments:

Post a Comment