Saturday, November 26, 2011

DEATH AND TAXES

                                # 30 in a series of daily one-act, one scene plays

[ACT I, Scene I: Rosaline and William nervously stand in their living room]


[the phone rings, William answers it]


WILLIAM: Hello, yes. No, I understand. Well, we simply weren't able to get the money....I see [hangs up phone and turns to Rosaline].They're sending someone over. I'm sorry, Rose. Still, we need to remember there's nothing they can do to hurt him.


ROSALINE: But it's just the idea, Willie!


WILLIAM: Believe me, I know. It's blackmail is what it is. Simple blackmail. When a man's buried, that should be the end of it-


[William glances out the window and gasps]


ROSALINE: What is it, Willie?


WILLIAM: It's..it's either a sick man, or a-a boy. He's coming up the walkway.


[Knock on the door, William opens it]


MESSENGER: I've been sent by the chancellor, he who runs things. Have you the money? 


WILLIAM: I'm sorry, we haven't any more money.


MESSENGER: At times people can gather the money at the last moment, so they always ask me to go. It's only fair, I say, to give everyone one more chance.


WILLIAM: If you give us time, we could get the money. Please, he's her father.


MESSENGER: Begging your pardon, sir, but if he cannot afford his bed then he'll end up like the others. [to Rosaline] Like many others, ma'am. His bones will be added to the heap. 'Tis a shame when ya can't pay. It always breaks me heart, it does. But there's nothing to be done if you cannot pay the chancellor's price. He's a hard man, sir, but he's fair. He's fair.


[messenger silently waits for a reply, there is none but for Rosaline sobbing quietly]


MESSENGER:Well, I'd best be on me way then [tips his cap]. I'll make sure they place the bones down gently [turns to walk down the front steps]...it's the least I can do.




                                           (curtain)

No comments:

Post a Comment