Wednesday, November 23, 2011

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

                                   # 29 in a series of daily one-act, one scene plays

[ACT I, Scene I: on a stage set up to look like a street corner, a turkey addresses the audience]

TURKEY: Hello, my name is Freedom. That's right, I'm the turkey President Lyndon Johnson pardoned yesterday. I spent two years in a turkey coop. Two long years with my own kind, and then-BANG! Just like that they throw me into the outside. Well, let me tell ya something, I can't deal with life outside of the big farm. I've been walking up and down these streets all morning, peeking inside your windows this Thanksgiving Day. Watching. Watching you. Watching you as you carve up my brothers and sisters. Some of the time, I spent watching you watch the parade on TV. Brother, that Snoopy balloon is something else, I tell ya. Then I watched the Cowboys play the Dolphins. Good game, good game.  But then I saw you go for seconds on the turkey, and you know what? I wish I was with 'em. I wish I were dead. What I'm saying is, I'm stuffed up to here with freedom. My giblets are all a quiver at my situation. Every wishbone snapped is a break in my heart. But I guess I'll waddle on down this quiet, lonely road. Maybe there's a cranberry bog I can drown myself in....make everyone's job easier.

[turns and leaves muttering]

                                      (curtain)

No comments:

Post a Comment