Thursday, November 3, 2011

A MATTER OF GRAVE IMPORTANCE

                                     # 21 in a series of daily one-act, one scene plays

[ACT I, Scene I: man digs in field, another man stands by him, a large rock is to their left]

DIGGING MAN [wipes forehead]: So I'm not going back.

MAN: You've got to. Your wife sent me out here. You've been digging that hole for three days now.

DIGGING MAN [resumes digging]: I've got to finish this.

[ a raven flies down and alights on the rock; caws]

MAN: What's with him?

DIGGING MAN: Him? Oh he's been bringing me food.

MAN: He feeds you?

DIGGING MAN: Not exactly. I mean, he tries. Three times a day he flies down and drops a tiny ball of bread for me.

MAN: Well, I suppose it's the thought that counts.  

DIGGING MAN: I suppose it is.

[neither speaks for a moment; raven flies off]

MAN: So what are you going to do? With the hole, I mean.

DIGGING MAN:  Lay down and die in it.

MAN: So there's no use in talking you into stopping?

DIGGING MAN: No, not much use.

MAN: I see. Well, I'll be heading out then. It's getting dark.

DIGGING MAN: Give the wife my best.

[man exits; the other man continues digging]

                                     (curtain)

No comments:

Post a Comment