Thursday, October 20, 2011

GENTLEMAN STABBING STANLEY'S PARROT

                #14 in a series of daily one scene, one-act plays


[ACT I, Scene I, an English tavern in 1718, a parrot makes moaning noises from his perch by the bar]

MAN: Sir, I’ll have another. [shudders] What is wrong with that bird?


TAVERN KEEPER: Him? Ah, that’s Gentleman Stabbing Stanley's old pet. Y’know, that pirate captain wut was hanged the week last.


MAN: Ah. So how did you come to own the parrot?


TAVERN KEEPER: The magistrate wanted to hang the parrot too, but the people protested. I myself think it was the little gallows they made for creature that moved the crowd to pity.


MAN: That is sad.


PARROT: ‘Tis no life for a God-fearing Christian man. Repent, repent. RAWK!


TAVERN KEEPER: He talks all day. It’s fine, as business won’t pick up until Yuletide anyway. He keeps me company.


MAN: I see. Have I been your only customer all day?


PARROT: [quietly] I will tell you a secret...


TAVERN KEEPER:  For two days.


MAN [whistles low]


PARROT: I killed Hook-Handed Henry and Rickety Jim. [sings] Oh, a cook and a captain and a coxswain am I!


TAVERN KEEPER: I used to think he was repeatin’ Gentleman Stabbing Stanley’s confessions, but now I think this bird just talks gibbitty.


PARROT: Ar-ha-ha-har. Do you want to know where the treasure is? Do you? DO YOU?!?!


MAN: Quiet!


[both Man and Tavern Keeper approach parrot and listen intently]


[bird eyes them for a moment]


PARROT: "The treasure is inside every Christian man-‘tis his soul!" Ar-ha-ha-har! That’s wut the priest said before I's stabs ‘im! I stabs 'em good! I likes a good stabbin's, I do. Did you know that about me? Me fondness for stabbin's?  [sings] Oh, a cook and a captain and a coxswain am I! RAWK!

TAVERN KEEPER: I'll tell you wut Gentleman Stabbing Stanley's treasure is- it's this bird after I let the taxidermist fix 'im proper. [Pours man a drink and raises bottle to toast at bird] To Gentleman Stabbing Stanley.
 
MAN: To Gentleman Stabbing Stanley.


PARROT: RAWK! To Gentleman Stabbing Stanley!


                                                (curtain)

                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment