Tuesday, October 18, 2011

THE GREEN VALLEY

              # 13 in a series of daily one scene, one-act plays

[ACT I, Scene I, the drawing room of the Grimes Manor, dusk]

LORD GRIMES: Daughter, I forbid you to marry that roustabout, the Marquis of Green Valley.

DAISY GRIMES: But father, I love him so! Oh dear, as we speak a snake has bit me. And if I remember my studies well, it is of the poisonous variety. Possibly shipped over in a crate from India, and then slithered down the road into our drawing room. They really do need to be more thorough in their inspections down at the wharf, that wharf which we own and have built a family fortune with.

LORD GRIMES: Yes, they really do.

Daisy Grimes: I die.

MARQUIS OF GREEN VALLEY [storms into drawing room]: Lord Grimes, with or without your blessing, I intend to marry your daughter.

DAISY GRIMES: And... I am dead.


SNAKE: Ha-cha-cha-cha cha!

                                                                  (curtain)
                      
                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment